Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Is That Why You're So Happy, Howard Schultz?

Pop Quiz time:  Who can tell me who Howard Schultz is?  Yeah, I didn't know off the top of my head either.  But after I read this article:  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2016734592_starbucks11.html , I became aware that Howard Schultz is the CEO of Starbucks.  And, the picture the seattle times picked to represent Mr. Schultz freaks me out.  I'm pretty sure he is so happy in the picture because Starbucks just, "paid $30 million Thursday (yes, this past Thursday) to acquire a juice company called Evolution Fresh, which it plans to feature in new stores it will open next year focused on health and wellness."  I had conflicting thoughts as I read this article.  Of course I'm always happy to see new juiceries become popular, but then it makes me nervous that Starbucks is the one making it popular.  It's like Daddy Moneybags's daughter has taken a liking to the new hippie girl at school, and she is going to take her out on the town and make her over.  And the only thing that hippie girl has to loose in the process is her integrity.  I'm quite sure this analogy does not make sense; but it's late, and I like granola crunchers.  Is that so wrong?  Ok, ok, back to my point: Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but does this sound cocky to any one else: Schultz stated, "We feel strongly that we understand the beverage business perhaps better than anyone else who's been in small-box retail,"--  Yeah, you do.  That's part of why millions of people are addicted to their morning cup of joe mixed with obscene amounts of sugar and cream.  But I say, if you can get consumers addicted to fresh juices the way you have enticed people to drink your delicious coffees, the world will be a better place.  I'll be watching you and your freaky face Howard.  You can count on it. 

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

It will be interesting to see how this pans out